My dad retired last month. What a great career he has had! For almost 20 years he was a partner in a large-animal veterinarian clinic in Northern Utah, then he sold his portion of the practice to his partners and went to work for the State of Utah. He has worked as an inspector, the assistant state veterinarian, and finally as the state veterinarian. He has had a great career, and has provided abundantly for his wife and six kids.
As children, our first job was working at his vet clinic. We washed and sterilized syringes; it was nice to have a built-in job if we ever needed a little extra spending cash. I have many wonderful memories of spending time with my dad on after-hour emergency calls. I'm sure I was more trouble than help, but he never said no when I asked to ride along. In high school I was able to work in the office after school and on weekends, and that employment continued throughout college. The job at my dad's office gave me the experience I needed to land a good job after I was married that provided for our new family.

As I attended his retirement party at work, I was loved hearing all of the tributes paid to my dad. He worked with many state and federal agencies, and the praise and compliments I heard on that day made me proud to be his daughter. He has lived his personal and professional life with integrity, and been a great example to his children. He has instilled a love of animals and nature in all of his children.

My dad spoke for a few minutes at his retirement party, and said something that will stay with me for the rest of my life. He said that the best thing he had ever done in his life was to marry my mom. What a fitting tribute to a wonderful lady. She helped support him through 8 years of school, then stayed at home to raise their six children. She returned to work when my youngest brother was 9 months old. She was up every morning by 4:30 so that she could get ready for the day: all of our clothes (yes, for all six children) would be ironed and hanging on the railing, cereal, bowls, and spoons sitting on the table, and lunch for my dad packed and waiting on the snackbar. Even though she doesn't ride horses (she once hiked 3 miles in to a camping spot that the rest of the family rode the horses to....and then had to hike back out 3 miles at the end of the trip...she still has the tendonitis to show for it!), she has supported as her husband and kids have participated in 4-H and high school rodeo. She, too, has lived her life with integrity and been a great example to her children.

I love you, Mom and Dad!
POST-EDIT: After receiving a very nice phone call thanking me for the preceeding post, my mom was quick to point out a few things. First, she told of my father's amazement that I have my own blog (give him a break, folks, he is retired!). Then she pointed out that I had remembered the story of her long walk incorrectly. She actually walked 6 miles in to our camping spot, and six miles out at the end of the trip. This just makes her all the more wonderful (and,dare I say it, crazy!?!) because she was (and still is) so willing to give of herself for the sake of her family. Still love you guys!
Your parents look so cute together. I'm impressed about the ironing done every day. Yikes. That is definately a lost art.
ReplyDelete